Monday, May 27, 2013

Poetry Month: Day 27 (by Katie)


The poem I want to share with you today is called "Things" by Eloise Greenfield. You've probably heard it read over the loudspeaker by Ms. Phillips during Family Friday.

I chose this poem because it really captures the staying power of poetry. Just like Eloise Greenfield, there are poems I've carried with me my entire life. Some are humorous poems I read again and again in Shel Silverstein's poetry books. Others are poems that my mom recited to me each night when I was falling asleep, poems her mother had shared with her. Still more are the poems I wrote as a child and memorized to perform for my classmates and family. There is even a poem about getting underwear for Christmas that my first grade teacher taught me; my entire extended family will never forget it! Poems are powerful, and "Things" by Eloise Greenfield certainly represents that.

Things
Went to the corner
Walked in the store
Bought me some candy
Ain't got it no more
Ain't got it no more
Went to the beach
Played on the shore
Built me a sandhouse
Ain't got it no more
Ain't got it no more
Went to the kitchen
Lay down on the floor
Made me a poem
Still got it
Still got it

Poem ©Eloise Greenfield. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments! Remember to just use your first name when you are leaving a comment.